Toyota Camry: Cleaning and protecting
the vehicle exterior
Perform the following to protect the vehicle and maintain it in
■Automatic car washes
- Fold the mirrors before washing the vehicle. Start washing from the
the vehicle. Make sure to extend the mirrors before driving.
- Brushes used in automatic car washes may scratch the vehicle surface,
parts (wheel, etc.) and harm your vehicle's paint.
- Vehicles with a rear spoiler: In certain automatic car washes, the rear
may interfere with machine operation. This may prevent the vehicle from
being cleaned properly or result in damage to the rear spoiler.
■High pressure car washes
As water may enter the cabin, do not bring the nozzle tip near the gaps
around the doors or perimeter of the windows, or spray these areas continuously.
■When using a car wash (vehicles with a smart key system)
If the door handle becomes wet while the electronic key is within the
range, the door may lock and unlock repeatedly. In that case, follow the
correction procedures to wash the vehicle:
- Place the key in a position 6 ft. (2 m) or more separate from the
while the vehicle is being washed. (Take care to ensure that the key is not
- Set the electronic key to battery-saving mode to disable the smart key
■Wheels and wheel ornaments
- Remove any dirt immediately by using a neutral detergent.
- Wash detergent off with water immediately after use.
- To protect the paint from damage, make sure to observe the following
- Do not use acidic, alkaline or abrasive detergent
- Do not use hard brushes
- Do not use detergent on the wheels when they are hot, such as after
or parking in hot weather
■Brake pads and calipers
Rust may form if the vehicle is parked with wet brake pads or disc rotors,
causing them to stick. Before parking the vehicle after it is washed, drive
slowly and apply the brakes several times to dry the parts.
Do not scrub with abrasive cleaners.
If dirt cannot be removed, clean the parts as follows:
- Use a soft cloth dampened with an approximately 5% solution of neutral
detergent and water to clean the dirt off.
- Wipe the surface with a dry, soft cloth to remove any remaining
- To remove oily deposits, use alcohol wet wipes or a similar product.
■When washing the vehicle
Do not apply water to the inside of the engine compartment. Doing so may
cause the electrical components, etc. to catch fire.
■Precautions regarding the exhaust pipes
Exhaust gasses cause the exhaust pipes to become quite hot.
When washing the vehicle, be careful not to touch the pipes until it has
cooled sufficiently, as touching a hot exhaust pipes can cause burns.
■Precaution regarding the rear bumper with Blind Spot Monitor (if
If the paint of the rear bumper is chipped or scratched, the system may
If this occurs, avoid using the system and consult your Toyota
■To prevent paint deterioration and corrosion on the body and components
(aluminum wheels, etc.)
- Wash the vehicle immediately in the following cases:
- After driving near the sea coast
- After driving on salted roads
- If coal tar or tree sap is present on the paint surface
- If dead insects, insect droppings or bird droppings are present
- After driving in an area contaminated with soot, oily smoke, mine
iron powder or chemical substances
- If the vehicle becomes heavily soiled with dust or mud
- If liquids such as benzene and gasoline are spilled on the paint
- If the paint is chipped or scratched, have it repaired immediately.
- To prevent the wheels from corroding, remove any dirt and store in a
with low humidity when storing the wheels.
■Cleaning the exterior lights
- Wash carefully. Do not use organic substances or scrub with a hard
This may damage the surfaces of the lights.
- Do not apply wax to the surfaces of the lights.
Wax may cause damage to the lenses.
■When using a high pressure car wash
- When washing the vehicle, do not spray the camera or its surrounding
area directly with a high pressure washer. Shock applied from high pressure
water may cause the device to not operate normally.
- Do not spray water directly on the radar which is equipped behind the
emblem. Otherwise it may cause the device to be damaged.
- Do not bring the nozzle tip close to boots (rubber or resin
cover), connectors or the following parts. The parts may be damaged if
they come into contact with high-pressure water.
- Traction related parts
- Steering parts
- Suspension parts
- Brake parts
- Keep the cleaning nozzle at least 11.9 in. (30 cm) away from the
body. Otherwise resin section, such as moldings and bumpers, may be
deformed and damaged. Also, do not continuously hold the nozzle in the
- Do not spray the lower part of the windshield continuously.
If water enters the air conditioning system intake located near the lower
part of the windshield, the air conditioning system may not operate
- Do not wash the underside of the vehicle using a high pressure car
The following procedures will help protect your vehicle's interior
and keep it in top condition:
Protecting the vehicle interior
Remove dirt and dust using a vacuum cleaner. Wipe dirty surfaces
To ensure safe and economical driving, day-to-day care and regular
maintenance are essential. It is the owner's responsibility to
perform regular checks. Toyota recommends the following maintenance:
Displays suggestions to the driver in the following situations. To select
a response to a displayed suggestion, use the meter control switches.
The suggestion function can be turned on/off.
■ Suggestion to turn off the headlights
If the headlights are left on for a certain amount of time aft
DESCRIPTION The DCM (telematics transceiver) sends a mute signal to the radio and display receiver assembly.
The radio and display receiver assembly controls the volume according to the mute signal from the DCM (telematics transceiver). WIRING DIAGRAM
CAUTION / NOTICE / HINT