Toyota Camry: Periodic maintenance
Introduction of periodic maintenance
The following tables show the normal maintenance schedule. Depending upon
weather and atmospheric conditions,
varying road surfaces, individual driving habits and vehicle usage, additional
or more frequent maintenance
may be required.
Periodic maintenance beyond the last period shown on the tables requires similar
Emission control system maintenance
- 1) After 40,000 miles (64,000 km) or 48 months, inspect every 10,000
miles (16,000 km) or 12 months. Replace the drive belts if
- (2) If operating mainly in dusty conditions, more frequent
maintenance may be required.
- 3) Maintenance-free item. For service procedures, refer to the fl
- (4) First replacement interval is 105,000 miles (168,000 km) or 84
months. After first replacement, replace every 75,000 miles
(120,000 km) or 60 months.
- (5) Use only Genuine NISSAN Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (blue) or
equivalent with proper mixture ratio of 50% anti-freeze and 50%
demineralized or distilled water. Mixing any other type of coolant or the
use of non-distilled water will reduce the life expectancy of the
factory fill coolant.
- (6) Replace spark plug when the plug gap exceeds 1.35 Mm (0.053 In)
even if within specified periodic replacement mileage.
- (7) Periodic maintenance is not required. However, if valve noise
increases, inspect valve clearance
- Maintenance items and intervals with вЂњ*вЂќ are recommended by nissan
for reliable vehicle operation. The owner need not perform
such maintenance in order to maintain the emission warranty or manufacturer
recall liability. Other maintenance items and intervals are
Chassis and body maintenance
- Maintenance items with вЂњ вЂќ should be performed more frequently
according to вЂњmaintenance under severe driving conditionsвЂќ.
- (1) Use only genuine nissan cvt fluid. If towing a trailer, using a
camper or a car-top carrier or driving on rough or muddy roads,
inspect cvt fluid deterioration at nissan dealer every 60,000 miles (96,000
km), then change cvt fluid if necessary. And if the
inspection is not performed, change (not just inspect) cvt fluid every
60,000 miles (96,000 km). Using transmission fluid other than
genuine nissan cvt fluid will damage the cvt, which is not covered by the
nissan new vehicle limited warranty.
- (2) If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or
driving on rough or muddy roads, change (not just inspect) oil at every
30,000 miles (48,000 km), 24 months.
- (3) Refer to вЂњtire rotationвЂќ under the вЂњgeneral maintenanceвЂќ heading
earlier in this section.
Maintenance under severe driving conditions
The maintenance intervals shown on the preceding pages are for normal
operating conditions. If the vehicle is
mainly operated under severe driving conditions as shown below, more frequent
maintenance must be performed
on the following items as shown in the table.
Severe driving conditions
- Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles (8 km).
- Repeated short trips of less than 10 miles (16 km) with outside
temperatures remaining below freezing.
- Operating in hot weather in stop-and-go вЂњrush hourвЂќ traffic.
- Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for long distances, such as
police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use.
- Driving in dusty conditions.
- Driving on rough, muddy, or salt spread roads.
- Towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier.
Fluids and lubricants
*1: For additional information, see вЂњengine oil recommendationвЂќ.
*2: As an alternative to this recommended oil, sae 5w-30 conventional
petroleum based oil may
Drive belt : inspection
Drive belt auto-tensioner
Possible use range
New drive belt range
In-cabin microfilter : removal and installation
Remove the in-cabin microfilter cover.
Before removing the in-cabin microfilter cover, let the vehicle r
1. CHECK DISPLAY SETTING
(a) Reset display settings (contrast, brightness) and check that the screen appears normal.
OK: The display returns to normal.
PROCEED TO NEXT SUSPECTED AREA SHOWN IN PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE
1. CHECK AUDIO SETTINGS
(a) Set treble, middle and bass to the initial values and check that the sound is normal.
OK: The sound returns to normal. HINT: Sound quality adjustment measures vary according to the type of amplifier.