Toyota Camry: Engine (ignition) switch
(vehicles with a
smart key system)
Performing the following operations when carrying the electronic
key on your person starts the engine or changes engine
Starting the engine
1. Check that the parking brake is set.
2. Check that the shift lever is in P.
3. Firmly depress the brake pedal.
and a message will be displayed
on the multi-information display.
If it is not displayed, the engine cannot be started.
4. Press the engine switch shortly
When operating the engine switch,
one short, firm press is enough. It
is not necessary to press and hold
The engine will crank until it starts
or for up to 30 seconds, whichever
Continue depressing the brake
pedal until the engine is completely
The engine can be started from
any engine switch mode.
Stopping the engine
1. Stop the vehicle.
2. Set the parking brake and shift the shift lever to P.
3. Press the engine switch.
Driving-related data will be displayed on the multi-information display.
■Automatic engine shut off feature
- The vehicle is equipped with a feature that automatically shuts off the
engine when the shift lever is in P with the engine running for an extended
- The engine will automatically shut off after approximately 1 hour if it
been left running while the shift lever is in P.
- The timer for the automatic engine shut off feature will reset if the
pedal is depressed or if the shift lever is in a position other than P.
- After the vehicle is parked, if the door is locked with the door lock
from the inside or the mechanical key from the outside,
the automatic engine shut off feature will be disabled. The timer for the
engine shut off feature will be re-enabled if the driver's door is
Modes can be changed by pressing the engine switch with the brake
pedal released. (The mode changes each time the switch is pressed.)
The emergency flashers can be
Shifting the shift lever
Vehicles without a smart key
While the engine switch is in the "ON" position and the brake
pedal depressed*, shift the shift lever while pushing the shift
When the shift lever is in the S position, the shift lever or paddle shift
switches (if equipped) can be operated as follows:
Paddle shift switches (if
Release the lock from the inside of the vehicle to open the hood.
1. Pull the hood lock release lever.
The hood will pop up slightly.
2. Pull up the auxiliary catch lever
and lift the hood.
3. Hold the hood open by inserting
the support rod into the slot.
■Open hood warning buzzer
1. Chock the tires.
2. For vehicles with steel wheels,
remove the wheel ornament
using the wrench.
To protect the wheel ornament,
place a rag between the wrench
and the wheel ornament, as
shown in the illustration.
3. Slightly loosen the wheel nuts
Vehicles with wheel