Toyota Camry: Smart key system
The following operations can be performed simply by carrying
the electronic key on your person, for example in your pocket.
(The driver should always carry the electronic key.)
- Locks and unlocks the doors
- Opens the trunk
- Starts the engine
- Antennas outside the cabin
- Antennas inside the cabin
- Antenna inside the trunk
- Antenna outside the trunk
■Effective range (areas within which the electronic key is detected)
When locking or unlocking the
The system can be operated when
the electronic key is within about 2.3
ft. (0.7 m) of either of the front outside
door handles. (Only the doors
detecting the key can be operated.)
When starting the engine or
changing engine switch modes
The system can be operated when the electronic key is inside the
When opening the trunk
The system can be operated when the electronic key is within about
2.3 ft. (0.7 m) of the trunk release button.
■Alarms and warning indicators
A combination of exterior and interior alarms as well as warning messages
shown on the multi-information display are used to prevent theft of the vehicle
and accidents resulting from erroneous operation. Take appropriate measures
in response to any warning message on the multi-information display.
When only an alarm sounds, circumstances and correction procedures are as
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the
key battery and the vehicle battery from being discharged while the vehicle is
not in operation for a long time.
- In the following situations, the smart key system may take some time to
unlock the doors.
- The electronic key has been left in an area of approximately 6 ft.
(2 m) of
the outside of the vehicle for 10 minutes or longer.
- The smart key system has not been used for 5 days or longer.
- If the smart key system has not been used for 14 days or longer, the
cannot be unlocked at any doors except the driver's door. In this case, take
hold of the driver's door handle, or use the wireless remote control or the
mechanical key, to unlock the doors.
■Electronic Key Battery-Saving Function
When battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping
the electronic key from receiving radio waves.
Press twice while pressing and
holding . Confirm that the
key indicator flashes 4 times.
While the battery-saving mode is set, the
smart key system cannot be used. To
cancel the function, press any of the electronic
■Conditions affecting operation
The smart key system, wireless remote control and engine immobilizer system
use weak radio waves. In the following situations, the communication
between the electronic key and the vehicle may be affected, preventing the
smart key system, wireless remote control and engine immobilizer system
from operating properly.
- When the electronic key battery is depleted
- Near a TV tower, electric power plant, gas station, radio station, large
airport or other facility that generates strong radio waves or electrical
- When the electronic key is in contact with, or is covered by the
- Cards to which aluminum foil is attached
- Metallic wallets or bags
- Hand warmers made of metal
- Media such as CDs and DVDs
- When other wireless keys (that emit radio waves) are being used nearby
- When carrying the electronic key together with the following devices
emit radio waves
- Portable radio, cellular phone, cordless phone or other wireless
- Another vehicle's electronic key, another electronic key of your
a wireless key that emits radio waves
- Personal computers or personal digital assistants (PDAs)
- Digital audio players
- Portable game systems
- If window tint with a metallic content or metallic objects are attached
- When the electronic key is placed near a battery charger or electronic
- When the vehicle is parked in a pay parking spot where radio waves are
■Note for the entry function
*: This setting can be customized at your Toyota dealer.
■When the vehicle is not driven for extended periods
- To prevent theft of the vehicle, do not leave the electronic key within
6 ft. (2
m) of the vehicle.
- The smart key system can be deactivated in advance.
- Setting the electronic key to battery-saving mode helps to reduce key
■To operate the system properly
Make sure to carry the electronic key when operating the system. Do not get
the electronic key too close to the vehicle when operating the system from the
outside of the vehicle.
Depending on the position and holding condition of the electronic key, the key
may not be detected correctly and the system may not operate properly. (The
alarm may go off accidentally, or the door lock prevention function may not
■If the smart key system does not operate properly
- Locking and unlocking the doors and trunk: Use the mechanical key.
- Starting the engine.
Some functions can be customized.
■If the smart key system has been deactivated in a customized setting
- Locking and unlocking the doors and opening the trunk:
Use the wireless remote control or mechanical key.
- Starting the engine and changing engine switch modes.
- Stopping the engine.
■Caution regarding interference with electronic devices
- People with implantable cardiac pacemakers, cardiac resynchronization
therapy-pacemakers or implantable cardioverter defibrillators should keep
away from the smart key system antennas.
The radio waves may affect the operation of such devices. If necessary,
the entry function can be disabled. Ask your Toyota dealer for details, such
as the frequency of radio waves and timing of the emitted radio waves.
Then, consult your doctor to see if you should disable the entry function.
- Users of any electrical medical device other than implantable cardiac
pacemakers, cardiac resynchronization therapy-pacemakers or implantable
cardioverter defibrillators should consult the manufacturer of the
device for information about its operation under the influence of radio
Radio waves could have unexpected effects on the operation of such
Ask your Toyota dealer for details for disabling the entry function.
Seat position adjustment lever
Seatback angle adjustment
Vertical height adjustment lever
Seat position adjustment switch
The seatbacks of the rear seats can be folded down.
Folding down the rear seatbacks
Pull the seatback lever in the trunk
for the seatback you wish to fold
down and then fold the seatback
*1 FRONT WIPER BLADE
*2 WIPER RUBBER
*3 FRONT WIPER RUBBER BACKING PLATE
- - RemovalREMOVAL CAUTION / NOTICE / HINT
NOTICE: Make sure to hold the front wiper arm while lifting it as lifting the front wiper arm by the front
■ Front turn signal/parking lights (bulb type)
1. Turn the bulb base counterclockwise.
2. Remove the light bulb.
3. Install a new light bulb and
then install the bulb base to
the light unit by inserting it
and turning it clockwise.
■ Front side marker lights (bulb type)
1. To ensur